Sunday, May 19, 2013

My thoughts on being pregnant...


-        I think working while being so sick has helped me stay alive.  Even though every single thought about waking up at 6:00, driving an hour to work, staying alert for 8 hours, and calling a million people on the hour drive home to stay awake is absolutely miserable.  I think work has made it so I have to get out of bed.  There’s no option to be a loaf.  Otherwise, I’d probably lie in bed all day and call Chris to bring me fast food.

-        Our first appointment with the doctor was so easy going.  I was afraid she might ask why the only thing I've been eating is Cinnamon Toast Crunch, apple juice, and fast food, yet she didn't even notice.  It took quite some time to find the baby’s heart beat – almost resulting in an ultrasound.  I also have low blood platelets, if they don’t rise than having an epidural isn't an option.  It's still so early that I'm not freaking out about this yet.  I'm sure I will, because Sisterville did and told me there is no way on earth she'd have a baby without the drugs.  She's a lot tougher than me, so I'm sure I will get this all figured out, for her peace of mind and mine.

-        I don’t notice my mood swings, until all the sudden I flip out.  Two times I've just sat and cried for no reason and Chris just looks at me like I’m a crazy person, or rubs my back until I fall asleep.  I find myself far less reasonable and quite forward. I’m not one to make waves or tell someone a contradicting opinion.  Lately, I don’t even care.  I’m all about telling people what I think.  Since I’m usually fairly passive, I’m actually sort of happy about this.

-        Our move took a serious toll on my energy.  We still have a full room of boxes.  I hear the second trimester is better, but quite frankly I’d just rather lay on the couch after work.  One day it will all get cleaned up.

-        I think December 1st sounds like the nicest due date.    Just in time to cozy up and be home with a newborn for the holidays.  This also means I won't have to work Christmas Eve and all the days between Christmas and New Years.  I also like that's its not too close to Christmas that I can distinguish between a birthday present and a Christmas present.  Such a great time of the year.

-        Chris is so cute about this little tot.  I often think he is daydreaming and thinking about it more than me.  He checks in on both of us each day, always inquiring about the baby.  As if I know.  I seriously can’t imagine going through this with anyone else.  The thought actually makes me cringe.  He’s the best!

-        The nausea totally stinks, but let’s be honest the tiredness is far worse.   I seriously long for the day I empty the dishwasher and change the laundry on the same day.  I find myself fighting back a mid-day nap and I wouldn't even mind climbing into bed at 7 pm. In fact I might tonight.

-        I love talking about baby names with Chris.  He's been humoring my baby name discussions since we were dating.  I can only think of boy names I like right now.  I read an article the other day on Yahoo that said boys with names less than 5 letters make more money than those with longer names.  The name that makes the most amount of money is Bob.  I full intend to use this information logically when naming my child.

-        On the same topic as baby names.  I've already had people ask what we are going to name it.  I don’t even know what “it” is yet.   I've never had a kid so I don’t know if I have to introduce myself in person to him/her first and I feel sort of weird naming it inside my belly.  I also used to think it was strange when people would say the name was a surprise or a secret. I don’t mind telling people the names I like; just strange to hear people so boldly state their opinions.  I now understand that the secrecy just nips this whole conversation in the butt.  So there you have it – I don’t know what to do about any of this naming stuff and I realize I’m already reading way to into it. Once I think on it a bit more, I'm sure I'll come up with a better answer when people ask.  For now even my options are a secret.  A secret that could be easily pried out of me, if you don't tell me you used to have a dog named that, or something equally as detrimental to fragile pregnancy brain.


P.S. The best thing about telling our news is, I can stop saving all the baby stuff from Pinterest on my desktop and start a real folder. I really like those barn doors behind the crib.

2 comments :

  1. My thoughts on you being prego...
    first- wait till you cant move because your back hurts so bad
    find ways to sleep whenever you can however you can. I remember sleeping through a large part of grad school....
    finally; do not watch any show that will make you cry while pregnant. Like Ellen, sister keepers or Charly. Chris will come home and really think that you have lost it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle I am so stoked for you! You are going to be the cutest mom. It's nice to know I'm not the only one obsessed with names and secret folders :)

    ReplyDelete