Sunday, August 25, 2013

Child Birth...

I've been feeling so anxious about this baby’s arrival.  When I used to hear about people getting pregnant, I always wondered if the entire nine months, they felt sheer panic about the birthing experience.    I have my moments, but somehow the birthing process now seems logical?

I've read a bit about what to expect in the last few months and then giving birth.  I consider myself having a fairly high pain tolerance, and I’m all about any sort of drug that will appease any pain I don’t want.  Therefore, I don’t think this whole thing is going to be that bad.  That being said, there are a few things I should think through a bit more.  First off, my husband has a very strong opinion about not taking a tour of the hospital before the baby comes.  Chris doesn't get very many strong opinions. Therefore, when the guy gets one, it’s probably best I live by it.  Mostly because I have about 62 strong opinions every day that he puts up with them like a champ.  Plus I really feel indifferent about it, but it's something my doctor told us to do. Did many of take a tour prior to giving birth?  Does it really matter?

The second thing I've been thinking about is birthing classes.  I've heard a few people tell me they've done them.  I've also had the majority of the people tell me that they are a waste of time.  Once again, I don’t have a strong opinion so I've opted out of any type of formal education regarding birthing.  I think if I were “going natural” or trying a specific method of birthing a course would be just fine.  However, since I plan on just taking the meds, and pushing it out I’ll just figure it out along the way.  Does anyone want to persuade me otherwise?

On that note, how about the whole knowing when to go to the hospital thing?  That is my third and final biggest worry.  I do not want to be one of those “false alarm” type girls.  I also don’t want to have to sit at the hospital for 300 hours prior to birth.  Whenever I read about girls “birthing stories” they say they started to feel Braxton Hick’s contractions, meaning the fake kind.  As if I’m supposed to know the difference between a fake contraction and a real contraction.   I really hope my water breaks and then I just know I’m supposed to go.  Did you know 90% of women’s water doesn't break at all, and the doctor’s do it?  Good grief! 

I know these all sound so simple.  Most new moms tell me not to worry about any of this type of stuff, instead focus on the nightmare of breastfeeding or bringing the baby home.  Maybe in a couple months all that will become a logical reality.

Until then, I feel great, except when I mow the lawn and pull weeds for a couple hours.  I love yard work and my little garden has been so much fun this summer.  Now that I’m getting bigger I think it’s time to turn over some of the yard work over to Chris.

4 comments :

  1. So here's the thing... Everyone is different and have all their own opinions so here are mine. WE didnt do the birthing classes or hospital tour because I planned on getting the meds and the nurses are usually very, very good. (Well mine were!)
    As for the braxton hicks contrations, mine aren't painful, my belly just goes hard and then goes away. The real thing is kinda painful and takes your breath away. You'll know.
    I was worried about the false alarm thing too.. so I went through 1 1/2 days of stronger irregular contrations because I didn't want to go in and sit when I could sit at my house. Soooooo When the contrations do get regular like 5-7 mins apart, or your water breaks thats when you should go in. I asked every question in the book to my doc and he answered them all so well so I bet your doc would do the same.
    I was a stress case, I read every book and when the baby was here I did everything by the book which is silly cuz everyone and every baby is different. You'll do great! If i can get through it, you can to! 10 more weeks for me and then I'll be the crazy mother of two... AWE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to do the birth class, Bob said no. He said why when all you do is just push the baby out. I am glad I didn't spend the money on the classes.

    Are you having the babe at Utah Valley? We didn't do the hospital tour either. When I called to preregister, the lady told me which doors to enter at and which floor to go to. It worked out great. But there is no harm in just going to the hospital and seeing for yourself.

    I never had braxton hicks, or I never knew about them. But Andrea has been having them and she can definitely tell what they are. Even though I was going to be induced, the night before I started having contractions and they started out every 20 minutes and then by the time we were leaving for the hospital they were every 5-7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about childbirth, but I'm ready to see some pictures of your cute prego belly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure you really do, it's a bit alarming. I think it's because it's my first but my whole body is preg. Even my eye balls have puffed. One day I'll take a good pic and post, probably when I have enough energy to shower and blow dry my hair in the same day. ha ha!!!

      Delete