Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Baby Story...

I woke up on my due date feeling just the same - pregnant and miserable.  I was still on bed rest that day, but I didn't care.  I made an apple pie, cleaned up the house and went to church and took the sacrament.  That night we went to Salem and visited my parents and told them I wouldn't be having the baby that night.

Sunday night at midnight I started having really bad pains.  I know now that they were contractions, but I had been having them on and off all week so I had no idea they were the real deal.  I fell asleep for a few minutes and the pain would wake me up.  At about 2:00 Chris and I started timing the contractions.

Finally about 3:00 my water broke.  At this point, Chris and I started getting ready to go.  The first thing I wanted to do was shower before we headed out.  I was paranoid about being all gross down there.  Turns out that shower meant a whole lot of nothing after birthing a child.  We got our stuff gathered and Chris gave me a quick blessing.  Everyone told me to eat something on the way to the hospital.  An empty stomach throughout a long delivery was not what I wanted.  Chris was going to run into the gas station and get me some juice and a doughnut, but as we were passing the hospital I had a contraction.  I told him to turn into the hospital and screw the empty stomach.  I am so glad I did.

We arrived on the labor and delivery floor and the paperwork lady was so sweet.  I remember her looking at me and saying, "This will take about 3-5 minutes, can you hang in there that long?"  I told her yes and soon we headed back to our delivery room.  I don't remember much until the guy with the epidural came.  I was trying to be tough and not ask for him, so when he just showed up, I had never been happier.

Getting the epidural was actually pretty rough.  It made me really light headed and I remember Chris standing in front of me and holding me on the bed.  When I was done with getting the shot, I had cold wash rags all over me.  At this point I was only dilated a three.  The pain had subsided and Chris and I went to sleep for about two hours.
The doctor came in about 8:30 and I had only progressed to a four.  She asked the nurse to start giving me Pitocin and told me that because of my other issues prior, my body might not be able to progress to a ten.  If I didn't progress in the next few hours than we would schedule a C-section.

At this point I started to get really bad pains in my legs.  My hip and knee on the left side were killing me.  I kept pushing the epidural button but no amount would help.  I think I pushed it too many times because the drug lord came in and checked on me.  He told me that he thought my nerves in that leg were not numb, which doesn't usually happen.  He wanted me to see if the pain got worse and he would come check on me.

About this time the nurse came and checked me and told me I was an eight.  She was shocked I had progressed so fast.

Now let me tell you.  Going from an eight to a ten was about the worst thing that has ever happened to me.  The nerves in my legs were freaking out.  I laid there and freaked out on Chris.  I told him I was never doing this again and that I couldn't do this.  He was so sweet, but you could tell he was worried.  When the drug lord came in to check on me again, I told him the pain wasn't too bad.  Chris spoke up and said that it was bad.  I was so glad he did, because the guy shot some cold stuff through my back and man was that heaven on earth.

Once I got that new drug in me I was a happy camper.  We waited until the pains were gone and the nurse had me start pushing.  I pushed for about an hour and a half.  I had heard pushing was the worst part, but for me I think it was my favorite.  It felt good to be doing something.  I also had been in so much pain that pushing the baby out was a welcome relief.

Prior to the doctor even coming in to catch our little guy, Caldwell pooped inside me.  This is not a good thing.  The nurse explained that when it came closer to him actually coming out that a lot of people would come into the room.  She told me I wouldn't be able to see him and they may have to rush him off, so no poop got into his lungs.
That's exactly what happened.  As soon as he was out they laid him on me for about 30 seconds.  Then they rushed him over and had four people working on him.  They wrapped him up let me look at him for another 30 seconds.  Then Chris went with him to the NICU for about an hour.
I just sat in the delivery room by myself.  Chris kept sending him photo's of him and I kept trying to study what he looked like.  I was shocked by the amount of hair he had.

Finally he got to come back to our room and I had about 10 minutes with him, before they took us downstairs.  Chris then stayed with him while they gave him a bath and such.  I went back to our room and waited.  Waiting was one of the worst parts.
The rest of the hospital stay was awesome.  I was really blessed with amazing nurses.  By the second night I wasn't having much luck nursing at all.  A sweet older nurse came in named Diana.  I actually didn't really like her at first, but she was my life saver.  She took control and spent two different sessions with me getting Caldwell to eat.  I tried asking her questions or learning more about her, but she was a woman on a mission.  She stuck to the job and got him to eat, she also took Caldwell to the nursery so I could rest.  I resisted and told her I was worried and she told me if they were busy she would go in and hold him herself.  Such an amazing nurse!

Now we are home and still in survival mode.  Wish us luck!  Not that we need anymore, as I figure myself the luckiest girl in the world to have not one amazing guy in my life, but now two.

No comments :

Post a Comment