Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Bates Family Motto - Inspired by Tom Cruise

Last night Chris and I got a babysitter (shocking) and went to the $5 Tuesday movie – Mission Impossible 3.  His choice, not mine because about a month ago he made me watch the first one on Netflix and I fell asleep, unimpressed.  So I guess I was surprised on how much I liked the movie last night. 

My favorite part of the movie was at the end when Rebecca Ferguson (I had to google her name, I don’t remember her name in the movie) gave Tom three options as they sat in a train terminal.  The first two options involved schemes to fight the bad guy that would most likely end up bad for Tom or the girl; however, the third option was to run away with her.  She had a valid argument, “we can be whoever we want to be, we can do whatever we want to do!”  That line hit me and I sat in my movie chair thinking, I haven’t felt that way in a really long time.  Then I began rooting for Tom, “choose that option Tom!  You can do anything Tom, take option three!” The words were literally screaming in my head and I was seriously pissed when he chose to continue to fight the bad guys and eventually win for the greater good.  This isn’t a spoiler; we all knew Tom would live in the end before we even went to the movie.  

I’ve thought about this feeling all night and on my drive to work this morning.  Growing up my parents did a really good job making us believe we could do or be anything we wanted?  Now that I have Caldwell I’m sort of in awe at how well they accomplished this.  They’ve created independence in each of us, an independence that I think I forgot about a little bit until last night.  I always tell Chris that I want to have a motto for our family.  I used to tell Chris our motto was, “Bates get up early and get shit done!”  Mostly because Chris hates getting up early and I thought my motto might urge him out of his Saturday morning comma.  I’ve lost that battle, and today I think I’m done fighting it.  The new family motto is, “The Bates Family can be whoever they want to be, and do whatever they want to do!”

P.S. It’s funny that I’ve this huge revelation during a Tom Cruise movie because in real life isn’t his brain basically being controlled by scientology.  Strange parallel don’t you think.

No comments :

Post a Comment