Thursday, June 15, 2017

How many college housing contracts can you sign?

I've been having dreams lately where I revert back to a previous place.  The subtly and timing of them haven't quite made sense.  Then I started thinking about all the different places I've lived.  The sheer amount of apartment complexes I've graced with my presence.  In September we will have owned our home in Bountiful for 2 years, and that marks my longest residence since I left my parents house in 2005.  I'm wondering if my subconscious is anxious by the lack of change.  Therefore, I thought I categorize my moves over the years.

Fall 2005 Chapel Glen & Sage Point
For the first two weeks of freshman year I lived in the U of U dorms called Chapel Glen. I had a shared room and my roommate who stayed up all night and kept leaving notes on my bed with pictures of me moving out.  I was too much of a pansy to stand up for myself and was miserable. I spent the first two weeks of college sitting under a tree on campus trying not to cry.  It's only funny now....  
 My dad came up and spoke with the housing offices.  I don't know if he had to pay to get me out, but I got moved to a single room with a shared bathroom at Sage Point.  My roommate was from Roy and I'm fairly certain she was selling herself for money, but she was nice enough.  I think one time we even went to Subway together.  The only way out of the housing was to change schools.  So I transferred to Utah Valley University at Christmas.

Spring Semester 2006 -In Orem was my first real college experience.  I bought a contract at Ventana with three really great girls.  They were all older, so two weeks into the semester when my "missionary" left they had all been there.  They let me tag along to so many things and really watched out for me.  If it wasn't for this place I probably wouldn't have continued through college.  Oddly enough, only one of the four of us married the boys we were writing.  So much drama for nothing.  


 After moving home for the summer after Freshman year I moved with one of my best friends from High School Lindsey to Palmyra, New York.  It was a combination of church history and American history.  During the week we lived in this hotel and on the weekends we traveled the entire east coast.  If you know Linz, she is literally a person who makes stuff happen.  That semester was so defining for me and my testimony.  We had three people to one room.  Lindsey and Nikki (Sessions) were on one side and I was on the other.  I have a tendency to be introverted and go to bed early, and they were so kind.  Lindsey and I went there with a great friendship but what I love about Linz is we branched out apart a times.  We made other great friendships and had a great semester. 


Spring Semester 2007 I came back from New York with lots of friends who would be living in Provo/Orem.  My friend Jenny (Eriksson) from New York moved into this place in Orem behind a store called "House of Hose."  The third roommate owned the condo and worked nights at the hospital.  Apparently we were too much to handle because in November we were half kicked out/half ready to leave.  She seemed cool and we remember her giving a killer sacrament talk but whenever we had people come hang out she would just slam her door and glare at us.  We moved our stuff home and then slept wherever the rest of the semester.  Often on the couch of some of the boys (who were friends) we'd met in New York. 


Summer 2007 - The Branbury
That summer Jenny and I needed an  actual place to live to we moved in with Kandice and Leandra (who I had met on Institute Council) the previous semester and had the summer of our lives.  I remember going home to Salem sometimes and just sleeping for an entire day and then going back to Provo.  We'd stay up so late doing who knows what.  That fall semester I stayed at the Branbury.  We moved to a different apartment.  Jenny left me and went to Utah State and I lived with Leandra and a few of her friends.  That winter semester I ended up selling my contract and moving to South Provo (don't have a picture of that place) with Kandice, who had also left Branbury.  The missionary I had been writing was home and selling my contract during school was better than trying to get rid of it in the summer when we had hoped to get married.  Well that didn't really work out so.....

Village on the Parkway - Summer 2008
The Village was the last place I wanted to be in the summer of 2008.  About the time I was going through my breakup I saw Whitney (Davidson) in the hall of the institute in Orem.  She'd lived with my in the hotel in New York.  I remember it feeling like a answer to my prayers when she asked if I wanted to live with her that summer.  I had no where to go, all my friends seemed to be gone or married.  So I moved all my crap up three flights of stairs and shared a room with Whitney.  Alyse (Hales) my good friend from high school ended up moving in the apartment below us.  I don't remember much about that summer.  Probably just crying a lot and playing Connect 4 with Bradly Gallagonia. 

  
Old Mill 2008-2009 - One Year Contract 
For an entire calendar year I stayed in one place.  Whitney (Davidson) and Alyse (Hales) added Lacee (Leach) to our group and moved here.  This complex was the epitome of those who were "stuck" in Provo.  I think there were moments when we felt like we were the only one's in this place going to college.  Everyone had careers, but we loved it.  Mostly because good roommates are all that matters when it comes to where you live.  That year we had the best.


Millrace Condo's 2009-2010
I didn't know it at the time, but this would be my last Provo Residence, until Chris and I would move back for a short stint after we were married.  I also didn't know that after living there for one calendar year I would marry the boy three doors down.  Whitney (Davidson) and I moved in with Kelsey (Halls) who we had met at Old Mill and Sarah (Maybe) Whitney's friend from High School.  If Old Mill was a place for those "stuck" in Provo.  Millrace might have been worse.  I think we used to refer to the boys there.  "They all just need to learn to make out."  I'm talking a bunch of 30 year old's who had never had their first kiss. I was only 23 at the time but I was afraid this would be my future.  I had graduated and was working and terrified that I'd be one of them.  Never married at 30 and kicked out of  the singles ward.  Lucky for me I'd had my first kiss along time a go.


Mandalay Apartments 2010-2011
Cedar City
I have no idea how I ended up here.  I left I really good job with lots of travel for graduate school in Cedar City, Utah.  This was one of those things I only did because God told me to and I had about 17 million freak outs at the time.  My roommates were freshman and they literally all got engaged by Christmas.  I am not even joking.  It was like a sick trick and I kept thinking about these 19 year old babies getting married.  But it worked out.  That December I went on my first date with Chris.  I didn't expect any of it to work out.  That summer when all my internship opportunities didn't work out.  I moved home to Salem and in close proximity to Chris.  By August we were engaged.

Cedar City House Fall 2011 
This was my last spot before having to live with a boy in December.  Chris and I were engaged for 6 months so I could finish a semester at school.  He was living in Spanish Fork and we met up on the weekends.  I loved my roommates Kara (Redd), Jade (Roundy) and Maycee (Barton).  Although my time in Cedar City was short, it's the place I dream most of going back to.  Which is strange, but I found more people in this little town who were "my type of people" than in any other place.

Perhaps I'll categorize my marriage housing next....

No comments :

Post a Comment